Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Making Babies

Since being diagnosed i have struggled a great deal with the idea of children, my ability to procreate, and whether or not id be able to have and adequately raise children while trying to cope with the daily challenges that come with FMS. I finally decided to have a discussion with my Ob-gyn at my annual visit about the possibilities of this ever happening, He said is was definitely possible, especially since my surgery in 2008 got most of my endomitriosis and the lupron and birth control had kept it in check. The only problem would be that i would basically need to get off of every single medication I was on that made my daily function manageable and kept my pain in check (sort of). Dr. H and I decided that we would do a test run and see if i could manage weening off of one drug at a time in very small steps to see if my body could even handle the possibility of this happening. We decided to start with Effexor since this is both one of the hardest drugs to get off of and could be the most harmful to a fetus. Dr. H wrote me a tapering schedule and the prescription and sent me on my way. He also mentioned that under no circumstance was I to stop taking my BC until my system was clean and safe. I managed to titrate all the way down to half a dose before my pain became a struggle. I have now been at this level for a couple of weeks to see if staying here would make it any easier to deal with. It hasn't.  

I had a conversation with my mom last week about all of this and she agreed with me that it might actually be in my own physical, emotional and spiritual benefit to not have a child and to focus on taking the best care of myself as I can and to try and be the healthiest happiest person I can be. The real possibility is that having a baby would ultimately make my medical condition worse and cause me to be in more pain from stress and lack of sleep. This state would not make for the best parenting or home environment for a growing child or a family in general..Its a hard pill to swallow as I have worked with children in some facet for most of my life and I've dreamed about having a family since i could dream. But in the end it is likely the best for everyone involved I guess my children are just going to have to be furry and four legged! Plus if I get well at some point later on in my life I can always adopt a child in need and give them a great loving home!



No comments:

Post a Comment